Well, I was able to do the whole sequence today with rest poses in between every pose. I finished right at midnight, but…that’s okay…I got it done…a journey’s a journey…and I can’t judge when and where it happens…
So…I ended on wanting to discuss The Dolphin/Makurasana yesterday which is a prep pose for Vrscikasana/The Scorpion and is in Adho Mukha Svasana/Downward-Facing Dog…So I’m going to write down the benefits for Downward-facing Dog.
· Stretches and relaxes the spine.
· Increases the flexibility of the spine, hamstrings, calf muscles and shoulders.
· Nourishes the brain with an increased blood supply.
· Improves concentration.
· Helpful for insomnia.
· Expands the chest.
· Gives the heart and digestive system a break in the antigravity position.
· Gives the abdominal organs a gentle massage.
· Helpful for anemia.
I suppose, at some point, I need to look up why it is a good thing that the brain is nourished with an increased blood supply because many of the poses have this as a benefit, and I can’t say that I’ve ever enjoyed a “head rush”, but…maybe if I knew why it was good for me, I’d change my mind.
Alright, that is all of the Manipura Chakra poses in the series…and the past few days that I’ve been practicing them, I’ve been thinking of all the discoveries I’ve made in this blog and, I think, it improves the pose…but…it could also all be in my head.
I’m going to move on to looking at the Ajna Chakra and the poses in the series that include this chakra.
The Ajna Chakra is all of the standing balances and they all have the same benefits:
· They tone and strengthen the muscles of the legs, knees, ankles, and feet.
· They encourage the balanced development of the muscles of the torso, abdominals, and back muscles.
· They encourage the stretching out of the spinal column.
I have to say, that none of these benefits are a surprise, but it also doesn’t elaborate for me why these poses are useful in mourning…
Maybe the definition of Ajna will help…
“Third eye or brow chakra. Color: Indigo. Element: ether. Endocrine system; hypothalamus and pituitary glands. Vital organ: the brain. General function: cognition. Related to wisdome and awareness of the mind.”
Well, not, yet, but I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to suss out any mysteries in the above definition.
That’s all for today…